Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort St Simons



Marker ID:  
Location: Between 12th and 13th Streets
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 08.024    W 081° 23.628
  31.13373333    -81.3938
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6R18
Fort St Simons Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

On this site Fort St.Simons was built by English troops under command of General James Edward Oglethorpe in 1783. It guarded the entrance to the Frederica River through which ships must pass to reach Fort Frederica. With nearby Delegal´s Fort, it turned the southern tip of St. Simons Island into Georgia´s most heavily fortified area. Fort St. Simons was destroyed by Spanish soldiers in 1742.



 

 

063-A21