Historic Markers Across Georgia



Horton House Historic Site - European Influence



Marker ID:  
Location: on Riverview Drive, near the Horton House Ruins, Jekyll Island, GA.
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 6.123    W 081° 24.872
  31.10205    -81.41453333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMGPYP
Horton House Historic Site - European Influence Marker  



Text:

William Horton decided to travel to Georgia with General James Oglethorpe in 1735. Unlike many passengers on the ship, Symond, he paid for his passage to America from England. Horton was granted 500 acres in return for paying for his passage. However, as a condition of the land grant he was expected to bring 10 indentured servants, one for every 50 acres, and have 20 percent of this granted land in cultivation within 10 years of his settlement in the new colony.

Horton was labeled an " adventurer" when he decided to travel to the new colony and left a wife and two young sons in England. His family did not join him in Georgia until he was settled and established on his property. It was nearly five years before Horton was able to return to England and bring his family back to his farm on Jekyll Island.

In 1736 when William Horton first arrived on Jekyll Island it could not have been more isolated. He was the first European to occupy this land and was responsible for the first sustainable farm. His closest neighbors were at the settlement Frederica on the island to the north, St. Simons Island. This was Horton's connection to civilization. The settlement was also home to Fort Frederica, the protection for settlers from Spanish and Native American attacks. At this fort Horton became a Major in the British Army, and second in command of the settlement, under General James Oglethorpe.

Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc., Jekyll Island Museum.



 

Horton House Historic Site - European Influence


 

063-A35