Historic Markers Across Georgia



Horton House Historic Site - The du Bignon Family



Marker ID:  
Location: on Riverview Drive, near the Horton House Ruins, Jekyll Island, GA.
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 6.105    W 081° 24.931
  31.10175    -81.41551666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Horton House Historical Site
A Legacy Continues
— The du Bignon Family —


The plantation that Christophe Du Bignon established at the beginning of the nineteeth century had its good and bad years.
When Christophe's youngest son, Henri, married Ann Amelia Nicolau in 1808, they were given 40 acres of planted cotton. This was a good indication that Christophe approved of the young Frenchwoman. The du Bignon family, as new immigrants, closely held to their native culture, and this was evident in this marriage as well as the close-knit community of friends and business agents that were also recent refugees from France and Haiti.
Henri eventually inherited the entire island when both Christophe and Marguerite died in 1825. The close ties with the French community continued with Henri. However, growing up in America allowed him to live and move more easily amoung the American culture than his father.

Henri remained on Jekyll Island until 1852 when he remarried and moved his new wife to Ellis Point, north of Brunswick.

Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc. , Jekyll Island Museum.



 

 

063-A36