Historic Markers Across Georgia



Shoemaker and Soldier



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: Fort Frederica National Monument, Saint Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.416    W 081° 23.436
  31.2236    -81.3906
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Shoemaker and Soldier
Fort Frederica National Monument


"The soldiers have the privilege of cutting timber and building houses for their families, which many have done, and thrive very well." London Magazine 1747

The first settler on this lot was John LeValley, Jr., a shoemaker. After four years at Frederica, LeVally became dissatisfied and moved with his family to Carolina.

The foundation discovered here probably belonged to a house built by Primrose Maxwell, a lieutenant in Oglethorpe's Regiment. Lieutenant Maxwell took part in the 1740 expedition against the Spanish at St. Augustine, and also served as a pallbearer at the funeral of the great Indian leader Tomochichi.

The house was built sometime before 1743 when Maxwell died. A census taken that year described the structure as "a good house built of tabby and timber."

National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.



 

 

063-A68