Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Flesh Market



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: Fort Frederica National Monument, Saint Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.416    W 081° 23.418
  31.2236    -81.3903
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Flesh Market
Fort Frederica National Monument


"In short, provisions in general are plentiful; venison, beef, pork at two pence, half-penny per pound, and sometimes under. Fish extremely cheap." William Thompson, London Magazine 1747

Records identify this lot as the site of the "flesh marker" or butcher shop. Some of the animals slaughtered here were raised on farm plots allotted to the settlers outside the town walls.

The trustees of the colony agreed to supply the settlers with rations of beef, pork, cheese, and flour, and other provisions for one year. After that they were expected to raise their own livestock and crops.

The butcher shop must have been a simple clapboard or thatched hut. Archeologists found no trace of a building here. The butcher probably lived on the lot directly behind this one.


National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.



 

 

063-A71