Historic Markers Across Georgia



Epworth Pioneers (Side 1)



Marker ID:  
Location: At Epworth-By-The-Sea, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 10.35    W 081° 24.398
  31.1725    -81.40663
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R3X
Epworth Pioneers (Side 1) Marker  



Text:

In 1945, South Georgia Methodists resolved to establish a religious center. After searching four years for a site, the Sea Island Company offered to sell them 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation. Because the Conference did not have the $40,000, Bishop Arthur J. Moore asked nine laymen to join him in signing a bank note for a tenth of the purchase price. Not one refused. Since D. Abbott Turner never signed a note, he gave $4,000 in cash. Later known as Epworth Pioneers, they were A.J. Strickland, Jr., Alfred W. Jones, Sr., Walter Blasingame, J. Slater Wright, Ben J. Tarbutton, Sr., Leo B. Huckabee, Jerome Crawley, George T. Morris and D. Abbott Turner. On July 25, 1950, in the Wesley tradition, almost 800 Methodists met under moss draped live oaks for the formal opening. Churches and individuals responded, paid the debt and began a tradition of love, prayers and financial support which makes God´s ministry at Epworth possible.

THE DREAM AT LAST A JOYFUL REALITY



 

Epworth Pioneers (Side 1)


 

063-A8