Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lovely Lane Chapel (Side 2)



Marker ID:  
Location: At Epworth-By-The-Sea, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 10.306    W 081° 24.381
  31.171766    -81.40635
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R4D
Lovely Lane Chapel (Side 2) Marker  



Text:

Built by Norman W. Dodge in 1880 and named St. James Union Church, the chapel is now the oldest church building on St. Simons Island. Repaired following a hurricane in 1897, deconsecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated after the Methodists purchased the property in 1949. Restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur J. Moore, the chapel is now a favorite place for worship, weddings, baptisms and prayer. The magnificent stained glass windows are irreplaceable pieces of Old English Art Glass. The Methodists renamed the church Lovely Lane Chapel after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore, Maryland.

PROVIDING AN ATMOSPHERE OF
THE NEARNESS OF GOD.



 

Lovely Lane Chapel (Side 2)


 

063-A9