Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Georgia Navy



Marker ID: GHS 63-6
Location: on Frederica Rd just north of Mimosa Rd and the Fort Frederica National Monument Visitor's Center, St. Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.395    W 081° 23.217
  31.22325    -81.38695
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9VNR
The Georgia Navy Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

During the American Revolution four heavily-armed row galleys were constructed in Savannah for the Georgia Navy, all underwritten by the Continental Congress. In nearby Frederica River, beginning at dawn on April. 19, 1778, Georgia galleys Lee, Washington, and Bulloch, commanded by Colonel Samuel Elbert, attacked HM brigantine Hinchinbrook, the armed sloop Rebecca, and an armed watering brig. The British attempted to retaliate, but were out-gunned and out-maneuvered. As they tried to gain an advantage by moving down river their ships grounded, were abandoned, and captured. This remarkable victory boosted patriot morale and delayed by more than eight months the British invasion of Georgia.

2005.2 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Society Sons of the 63-6
American Revolution, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, and Fort Frederica National Monument




The Georgia Navy
Photo by David Seibert



 

063-HS06