Historic Markers Across Georgia



Retreat Plantation



Marker ID: GHS 63-7 (2007.6)
Location: Kings Way, .2 miles NW of Frederica Road/Retreat Av., St. Simons
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 8.913    W 81° 24.092
  31.14855    -81.40153
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGN9X
Retreat Plantation Marker  



Text:

In 1804 William Page purchased land on St. Simons Sound and named it Retreat. With later purchases, Retreat became one of the preeminent plantations on St. Simons Island for the production of long-staple cotton. In 1827 the Pages´ only child, Anna Matilda, who had married Thomas Butler King of Massachusetts, inherited Retreat. She was active in the management of the plantation and its slave population. Mr. King became a Georgia state senator and U. S. Congressman, where he led efforts to strengthen the U.S. Navy. Retreat land stretched from the Frederica River to the Lighthouse. Part of Retreat, including the Avenue of Oaks, is now home to Sea Island Golf Club, and other portions are residential and commercial areas and public parks.



 

Retreat Plantation


 

063-HS07