Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hamilton Plantation



Marker ID: GHS 63-8
Location: On Arthur J. Moore Dr at Hamilton Rd.
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 10.188    W 081° 24.458
  31.1698    -81.40763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R46
Hamilton Plantation Marker  



Text:

In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton´s stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, management oversight was carried out by his namesake, James Hamilton Couper, who eventually owned Hamilton. From colonial days, Gascoigne Bluff had served as a deep-water landing. In the plantation era, imported goods and cotton exports for the entire island were transported through Hamilton Plantation´s wharf. Two tabby cabins that housed some of the plantation´s slaves have been preserved at the Bluff.

2008.11 Georgia Historical Society, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, Friends of Coastal Georgia History, and Sea Island Company. 63-8



 

Hamilton Plantation


 

063-HS08