Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cannon's Point Plantation



Marker ID: GHS 63-9
Location: on Lawrence Road 3 miles north of Frederica Road, on the right when traveling north.
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 15.203    W 081° 21.143
  31.25338333    -81.35238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9TZE
Cannon's Point Plantation Marker  



Text:

In 1793 John Couper, with his partner James Hamilton, purchased Cannon's Point in northeastern St. Simons Island. In addition to the production of cotton, Couper experimented with citrus trees, grapes, date palms from Persia, mulberry trees for silk production, sugar cane, and olive trees from France. He became known as a leading agricultural innovator, and Cannon's Point Plantation gained the nickname "Georgia's Experimental Station." Public-spirited John Couper also donated the land for the St. Simons lighthouse on the south end of the island. Cannon's Point was the ancestral home of many Gullah Geechee still living in coastal Georgia

2010.2 Georgia Historical Society, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, Friends of Coastal Georgia History, and Sea Island Company. 63-9



 

Cannon's Point Plantation


 

063-HS09