Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hampton Plantation



Marker ID: GHS 63-10
Location: on Lawrence Road, Saint Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 15.050    W 081° 21.065
  31.25083333    -81.35108333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGP66
Hampton Plantation Marker  



Text:

In 1774 Major Pierce Butler of South Carolina purchased Hampton Point in northwestern St. Simons Island, and by the 1790s Hampton was developed into the island's largest cotton plantation in land and slave population. Signer of the Constitution and member of the new U. S. Senate, Butler moved from Charleston to Philadelphia. In 1838 Major Butler's grandson, Pierce Butler, and his abolitionist wife, British actress Fanny Kemble, traveled to Georgia to inspect the Butler plantations. She wrote a scathing account that was published during the Civil War, creating much sensation in the North and in England. In 1859, to cover mounting debts, 436 slaves from Butler's Georgia plantations were sold in Savannah, an event known as "The Weeping Time."

2012 The Georgia Historical Society, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, 63-10
Friends of Coastal Georgia History, and Sea Island Company.



 

 

063-HS10