Historic Markers Across Georgia



Moravian Mission



Marker ID: GHM 064-27
Location: US 41 about 4 miles south of Calhoun (Deleted)
County: Gordon
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

1.5 miles east is the old Oothcaloga Mission Station, operated by the Moravian Church 1822-1833 as a center of education and religious instruction for the Cherokee Indians.

John Gambold, first missionary here, taught many Indian children and built up an active Cherokee church congregation.

In 1832 Georgia distributed Cherokee lands by lottery; and by 1833 two white families had moved into the Oothcaloga Mission House.


GHM 064-27 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION