Historic Markers Across Georgia



Grady County



Marker ID: GHM 065-1
Location: 1 Courthouse in Cairo, GA
County: Grady
Coordinates: N 30° 52.738    W 084° 12.483
  30.878966    -84.20805
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7E2T
Grady County  Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 17, 1905, is named for Henry W. Grady, nationally famous editor and ´silver tongued orator´ of the New South. Born in Athens, Ga., in 1850 and educated at the Universities of Georgia & Virginia, he died in 1889. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff D.W. Tyus, Ordinary P.H. Herring, Clerk of Superior Court W.T. Crawford. Tax Receiver W.R. Wynn, Tax Collector R.W. Ponder, Treasurer M.G. McManus, Surveyor D.A. Jones, Coroner E.G. Harrell, School Commissioner J.B. Wright and Representative R.R. Terrell.

GHM 065-1 Georgia Historic Marker 1996



 

 

065-1