Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bethany Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 066-10
Location: Six miles SE of Union point, 5 miles east of Siloam
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 33.378    W 083° 0.918
  33.5563    -83.0153
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6GNT
Bethany Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Organized in 1786, Bethany Presbyterian Church was the first church in Greene County. Dr. Francis Cummins, Dr. Francis Goulding, and other great ministers preached here. In 1886, Dr. James Woodrow was tried for heresy here in the first "monkey trial" of record. Around this church grew the first white settlement, while this was Washington County. Here was Dr. Moses Waddell´s first school, and the homes, of William Greer Daniel, the Baldwins, Loves, Kings, and other pioneer families. It was the inspiration for Thomas E. Watson´s "Bethany," and around it William H. Sparks" "Memories of Fifty Years" begins.

GHM 066-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

066-10