Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty Chapel



Marker ID: GHM 066-11
Location: Liberty Church Rd west of Veazey Rd, S of Greensboro
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 26.148    W 083° 8.442
  33.4358    -83.1407
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HJ8
Liberty Chapel Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

About 1786, John Bush built a brush arbor as a community center for camp meeting at what was then called "Crackers Neck." Frown this grew liberty Chapel, Cradle of Methodism" for this section. In 1797, Rev. James Jenkins, leader in the early day of Methodism and, at that time, on the Washington Circuit including Greene, Taliaferro, Wilkes, Lincoln, Elbert, Hart, Franklin, Madison, and Oglethorpe Counties, preached here and report in his "Journal" that, after a "fiery exhortation." A man in uniform came down the aisle and fell at his feet, crying for a pardon. Others followed and, according to Rev. Jenkins, then, at Liberty Chapel, began the Methodist custom of "going to the altar." The meeting became so noisy, he continued, that it was a wonder the horses did not take fright. Most of the great men of early Methodism were identified with this church. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here several times and, in 1808 when the South Carolina Conference met here, he and Bishop William Mckendree attended. At Liberty Chapel, Rev. Lovick Pierce was ordained an elder and Bishop William Capers admitted as a preacher on trial.

GHM 066-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

066-11