Historic Markers Across Georgia



New Hope Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Farmington Road opposite C. M. Copelan Road, Greshamville, GA
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 37.552    W 083° 19.416
  33.62586666    -83.3236
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM6HG6
New Hope Baptist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

New Hope Baptist Church was constituted on January 15, 1800. Thirteen years after Greene County was created, by Rev. Joseph Baker, Rev. Thomas Mercer and others. These eleven charter members were: James Butler, Gracy Butler, James Fielder, Sarah Fielder, Alexander Walden, Sarah Walden, Jesse Walker, William Walker, Mary Walker, Elizabeth Walker and James Sheppard. Adiel Sherwood pastored 1824 - 1826. The sanctuary was originally located four miles north of Greshamville on the Farmington Road. Spring Creek Church is currently located on the original church site. The original one-room church was built of logs and mud. Anchored on rock pillars. New Hope Church moved to the present site February 25, 1871.

Erected to the glory of God
October 15, 2000 (Bicentennial)
Michael Pritchett, Pastor




New Hope Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

066-A08