Historic Markers Across Georgia



William C. Dawson 1798-1856



Marker ID: F. & A. M. 
Location: Courthouse in Greensboro
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 34.602    W 083° 10.944
  33.5767    -83.1824
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HGT
William C. Dawson 1798-1856  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Statesman - soldier - jurist- Freemason
A native of Greene County, then on Georgia´s Indian frontier, he was educated in the law and admitted to the bar in 1818. The remainder of his exemplary life was spent in the public service as legislator, captain of volunteers in the Indian war of 1836 in Florida, judge of the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit, Congressman, and U.S. Senator from Georgia from 1849 to 1855.

A member and officer of historic San Marino Lodge No. 34, F & A M, Greensboro, GA., first chartered in 1821 and which lodge has had its quarters atop the Greene county courthouse here since 1849. Brother Dawson served as grand master of masons in Georgia from 1843 until his death in Greensboro on 6 May 1856. Two cities and one county in Georgia are named for him. Also named in his honor are two Masonic lodges: Dawson no. 68, F & A M social circle GA., and Dawson No. 16, F.A.A.M, at Washington, D.C.

One of the most beloved, respected and distinguished grand masters in Georgia´s long Masonic history his honored remains lie in the city cemetery near this spot. His entire life was a testimonial to his devotion to his fellowman, his country and to the sublime precepts of freemasonry. His name will always be revered by the freemasons of Georgia.

Marker placed by the
Educational & Historical Commission,
Grand lodge of Georgia, F & A M, 1971



 

 

066-A5