Historic Markers Across Georgia



White Plains Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 066-1
Location: At the church, 1040 Main St East, White Plains
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 28.326    W 083° 2.094
  33.4721    -83.0349
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6GNN
White Plains Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

White Plains Baptist Church was organized in 1806, with all four sanctuaries located here. The current sanctuary was constructed in 1887. Welcoming its first African-American member in 1812, both races worshipped together until 1869. In the late 1820s the church was instrumental in the founding of Siloam Baptist Church, formerly a branch of this church. To date only 20 pastors have served here. James H. Kilpatrick, pastor from 1854 to 1908, also served as moderator of the Georgia Baptist Association for 23 years and as President of the Georgia Baptist Convention for 6 years.

1999.12 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and White Plains Baptist Church 66.1



 

 

066-HS1