Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Springfield Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 066-2
Location: 314 Canaan Circle in Greensboro, Georgia
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 33° 33.983    W 083° 10.616
  33.56638333    -83.17693333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Springfield Baptist Church was established on January 27, 1864 prior to the abolition of slavery, and is among the first African-American churches founded in Middle Georgia. Enslaved workers purchased land from Mrs. Nancy Bickers and began monthly meetings. Levi Thornton, a slave, served as the church's first pastor. Prior to the Civil War most local congregations were racially integrated, though blacks and whites sat separately. However in 1867 African Americans were dismissed from local congregations. At their dismissal, the white congregations presented Springfield with $200 to help build the current building. In 1978, this property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Springfield Baptist Church



 
Notes:

Note: These coordinates are an approximation of the location of the church as shown by Google Maps and may not be close to the actual location of the marker

 

066-HS2