Historic Markers Across Georgia



Peachtree Road



Marker ID: GHM 067-2A
Location: Buford Hwy (US 23) at Thompson Dr in north part of Duluth
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 34° 0.355    W 084° 8.139
  34.00591666    -84.13565
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM10GJ
Peachtree Road Marker  



Text:

At Fort Daniel on Hog Mountain, about 12 miles NE, began the original Peachtree Road to the village of Standing Peachtree on the Chattahoochee River. This old road was opened to haul military supplies to the river. These were to be floated downstream to Gen. Jackson´s and Gen. Floyd´s troops, converging on the Indians in the Creek Wars of 1813-1814. Built in late 1813 or early 1814, Fort Daniel, a stockade, was the extreme western point in Georgia. All land to the wet and northwest was Indian country. The old road entered the present highway here.

GHM 067-2A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

067-2A