Historic Markers Across Georgia



Elisha Winn House



Marker ID: GHM 067-7
Location: Dacula Road .6 mile south of Ga 324 intersection
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 34° 1.387    W 083° 54.512
  34.02311666    -83.90853333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2B1
Elisha Winn House Marker  



Text:

This house was built by Elisha Winn around 1812. In 1818, the Georgia General Assembly created Gwinnett County from Cherokee and Creek cessions and part of Jackson County. The first Gwinnett elections and sessions of the Inferior Court were held in this house. The Superior Court met in Mr. Winn´s barn. Restoration of the house was completed by the Gwinnett Historical Society in 1986.

Elisha Winn was born in Lunenburg County, Virginia in 1777. He moved to South Carolina then to Jackson County, Georgia where he served as a justice of the Inferior Court. He also served as justice of the Inferior Court in Gwinnett and as state representative (1830, 1833, 1837) and as state senator in 1826. Winn died on March 4, 1842 and is buried in the old Lawrenceville cemetery.

GHM 067-7 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1987



 

 

067-7