Historic Markers Across Georgia



National Register of Historic Places - City of Norcross



Marker ID: City of Norcross 
Location: Near City Hall at 40 Lawrenceville St, Norcross, Ga.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 56.537    W 084° 12.712
  33.942283    -84.211867
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMB6RB
National Register of Historic Places - City of Norcross Marker  



Text:

The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance has been recognized by the U. S. Department of the Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1980. The Historic District sits along the eastern Continental Divide, which played a significant role in the early transportation and settlement of the area. Originally, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied this land and the Ridge Line was used as a major transportation route. Two American forts were established in the early 1800s: Fort Daniel at Hog Mountain and Fort Peachtree in Atlanta. These forts were connected by this old Indian trail which became the original Peachtree Road. Around 1840, this trail had evolved into a stagecoach route connecting South Carolina and Alabama through Georgia. In 1856, Jonathan Norcross, a former Atlanta Mayor, proposed the creation of the Richmond-Danville Railroad to open up Northeast Georgia. On September 12, 1869 John J. Thrasher bought the surrounding 250 acres and a town was born. The town was officially chartered by the Georgia General Assembly on October 26, 1870.

Erected by the City of Norcross, Gwinnett County



 

 

067-A13