Historic Markers Across Georgia



Norcross Train Depot - Circa 1909



Marker ID:  
Location: On the side of the old Norcross Train Depot on S. Peachtree St., Norcross, GA.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 56.534    W 084° 12.798
  33.942233    -84.213300
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMB7CA
Norcross Train Depot - Circa 1909 Marker  



Text:

Norcross was founded as a railroad town in 1870 with the expansion of the Richmond-Danville Railroad out of Atlanta. It quickly became known as a restore town for vacationing Atlantans wishing to leave the city. The train depot was built in 1909 to accommodate the needs of the growing community. It was originally used as a combination freight and passenger depot equipped with a warehouse, business offices, a passenger waiting area, and a ticket counter. A train known as the "Air-Line Belle" ran six days per week and served Norcross exclusively for two years. It left the Depot at 8:00 a.m. for Atlanta, leaving Atlanta at 5:30 p.m. for the return trip, and arriving back at the depot in Norcross at 6:00 p.m. The train service was later extended to Flowery Branch, Gainesville and Toccoa. The popular commuter train was discontinued in 1982.



 

 

067-A14