Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Norcross Methodist Church - Ca. 1875



Marker ID: City of Norcross 
Location: At the church on Collage St at Britt Ave., Norcross, GA.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 56.529    W 084° 12.681
  33.942150    -84.211350
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMB7CC
Site of Norcross Methodist Church - Ca. 1875 Marker  



Text:

The origins of the Norcross Methodist Church date back to approximately 1818, when a small group of people formed a church named Medlock´s Chapel about 1 ½ miles southeast of what is now Norcross. After a few years, this church moved to a location on present-day North Norcross-Tucker Road and was renamed Flit Hill Methodist Church. Camp meetings were held there regularly between 1825 and 1862. Once Norcross was founded in 1870, nearby Goshen Church (Presbyterian) and Flint Hill Methodist Church decided to move into the new town and construct a joint church. In the interim, a building on Norcross´ Church Street or "Holy Row" was to be used by all religious denominations. The joint Presbyterian- Methodist church never materialized, and in 1871 the Methodist appointed a building committee for a new church of their own. Once enough funds had been raised, this chapel was built on a lot measuring 100 X 154 feet and was deeded on July 26, 1875 by John J. Thrasher and M.C. Lively, two of the town´s founders. By prior arrangement, the Goshen congregation was permitted to worship in this church from 1875 until they built their own church, which was completed in 1899. Over the years, the Norcross Methodist Church moved to a newer, larger facility on Beaver Ruin Road.



 

 

067-A15