Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Norcross Public Library



Marker ID: City of Norcross 
Location: In front of the Library / Norcross Women Club building on N Peachtree St, Norcross, GA.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 56.641    W 084° 12.841
  33.944017    -84.214017
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMB7CF
Site of Norcross Public Library Marker  



Text:

In February 1907, the Norcross Women's Club took on the challenge of forming a public library. The Norcross Library, Gwinnett County's first, opened on July 1, 1907 in a small room in the public schoolhouse. The libraries primary benefactor was Mr. Edward F. Buchanan, who had been orphaned as a child, raised by foster parents in Norcross, and made his fortune on Wall Street. In September 1907, he donated $2500 to the library fund. However, it would be fourteen years before the library found a long term home, as Mr. Buchanan lost his fortune and ask himed the Women's Club to lone his donated $2500 to his foster mother. The Women's Club complied with his quest. In 1918, the Norcross Women's Club received full payment on the loan with interest, and purchased this lot in 1919 for the library site. The cornerstone was laid on June 18, 1921. The library opened in September 1921 with 2500 books and with Miss Lola Key as librarian - a role she held for nineteen years. Except for a time during World War II when the American Red Cross used it, this building housed Norcross' public library until July 1971, when the library was moved to a larger facility on Carlyle Street to better serve the needs of the growing community.



 

 

067-A17