Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Home of Major William E. Simmons



Marker ID: GHM 
Location: on the northeast corner of the intersection of Pike and N. Clayton Streets, opposite the courthouse square.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 57.445    W 083° 59.302
  33.95741666    -83.98836666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
The Home of Major William E. Simmons Marker  



Text:

William E. Simmons, one of Gwinnett County´s foremost citizens, was born in Lawrenceville on August 26, 1839. After graduating at the top of his class form Emory College, he assumed editorship of the Lawrenceville News. In 1861, he became an officer in the 16th Georgia Infantry Regiment, gallantly leading his men in over 20 battles during the War Between the States. In 1863, he rose to second in command of the 3rd Georgia Sharpshooters, an elite unit comprised of solders from Major General W.T. Wofford´s Brigade. He was captured in the Shenandoah Valley in August 1864 and spent eleven months at Fort Delaware Prison. After the War, he returned home to practice law. In 1869, he wed Mary Ambrose of Lawrenceville. The following year he was elected to the Georgia General Assembly, serving in the first session after re-admission of Georgia to the Union. In 1894, Governor W.Y. Atkinson appointed Simmons to the State University Board of Regents, where he served over a period of 32 years, receiving an honorary LLD degree from the University of Georgia in 1919. He died in 1931.



 
Notes:

The Simmons house still stands, now used as an insurance office.

Major William E. Simmons - SCV
William Tatum Wofford
Fort Delaware

 

067-A20