Historic Markers Across Georgia



Steam Locomotion at High Tide!



Marker ID: GHM None
Location: In one of the sheds at the Railroad Museum off US 23 in Duluth. GA.
County: Gwinnett
Coordinates: N 33° 59.25    W 084° 9.259
  33.9875    -84.15431666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

"Born of a railroad, Atlanta grew as it railroad grew."
Margaret Mitchell in "Gone With The Wind."

In March 1926, the 290, a Pacific type 4-6-2 steam passenger engine, was delivered to the Atlanta and West Point Rail Road company by its builders, the Lima Locomotive Works. From 1926 until 1953, the to 290 was used in main line passenger service on the "Piedmont Limited" between Atlanta and Montgomery.

In 1957, a group of Atlanta´s citizens, headed by Les Aikman, Atlanta Constitution columnist, and E. M. Ivie, retired railroad yard conductor, began a movement to preserve the 290 as a permanent monument to the apex of steam locomotion. As a result, in May 1958, the 290 was presented to the mayor William B. Hartsfield for the city of Atlanta by the Atlanta in West Point Rail Road Company through its president, J. Clyde Mixon.

In July 1958, the old No. 290s engine, weighing 269,000 pounds and, and tender, weighing 78,800 pounds, were moved from the nearest track, the Atlanta and West Point Rail Road Company´s Beltline, down one and one-half miles of Pryor Street and through Lakewood Park to this site. The difficult engineering feat was performed voluntarily by the 836th engineering Battalion (Heavy Construction), United States Army Reserve, Lt. Col. J. E. Bing, Commanding.



 
Notes:

Originally with Engine 290 at Railroad Museum off US 23 in Duluth, GA

Now in one of the sheds at the Railroad Museum off US 23 in Duluth. GA

 

067-A7