Historic Markers Across Georgia



Piedmont College



Marker ID: GHM 068-12
Location: US 441 at college in Demorest
County: Habersham
Coordinates: N 34° 33.963    W 083° 32.651
  34.56605    -83.54418333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMG9MN
Piedmont College Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

Piedmont College is an accredited, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college, open to all regardless of race, sex, or creed. Founded under auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the College was chartered September 6, 1897 by Habersham County as the J. S. Green Collegiate Institute, and renamed J. S. Green College in 1899. The founder and the first president, Charles C. Spence, was a Methodist minister and educator. In 1902, the Congregational Christian Church, the church of the pilgrims, assumed sponsorship and in 1903 changed the name to Piedmont College. Since that year, the college had maintained a close relationship with Congregational churches across the nation.

Piedmont has made significant contributions to education on a regional, state, and national level. Graduates of the college have gone on to serve as teachers at all levels throughout the state superintendents of many Georgia school systems, state Superintendent of Schools during the initial integration of public schools, presidents of five major universities and state and national senators and representatives whose interest and work centered on education.

GHM 068-12 Georgia Historical Marker 1994



 

 

068-12