Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 069-3
Location: on GA 13 at Old Federal Road (Radford Rd), northeast of Flowery Branch, GA.
County: Hall
Coordinates: N 34° 11.109    W 083° 55.527
  34.185150    -83.925450
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3Y88
Old Federal Road  Marker  



Text:

The route leading from this point is the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were ranted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in 1805. Beginning 10 miles to the east, on the former Cherokee boundary, now the Hall-Jackson county line, the road crossed the Chattahoochee 4 miles to the west at Vann´s Ferry and bore northwestward.

This highway was the first vehicular and emigrant route of northwest Georgia. Andrew Jackson passed here in 1818 enroute to the Seminole Campaign.

GHM 069-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

069-3