Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Flowery Branch Depot



Marker ID:  
Location: At the depot on Railroad Ave at the intersection with Main St, Flowery Branch, GA.
County: Hall
Coordinates: N 34° 11.083    W 083° 55.517
  34.18471666    -83.92528333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVB5
The Flowery Branch Depot Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Cotton, leather and furniture, as well as manufactured items from the region passed through these walls, as did passengers during its working years (c.1890-1970s) as a Richmond & Danville Railroad and Southern Railway System Depot. Sold to the City of Flowery Branch for $1.00 in 1972, the building was later rehabilitated with Federal Transportation Enhancement Funding through the Georgia Department of Transportation, and moved from its original site directly across Railroad Ave. (RR property), to this location, 5302 Railroad Ave. (original site of the Carlisle General Merchandising Building, now City Property).

In 2001, the rehabilitated building was dedicated to its new use as a museum and community center. The Depot both educates citizens and gives a special identity to the historic Main Street displaying its significance to Georgia's railroad and town development history.

2010 by Friends of the Depot, Flowery Branch, Georgia, Inc., Flowery Branch Better Hometown, Inc., and Flowery Branch Historic Preservation Commission.




The Flowery Branch Depot
Photo by David Seibert



 

069-A9