Historic Markers Across Georgia



Powelton Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 070-10
Location: At the church in Powelton on Ga 22
County: Hancock
Coordinates: N 33° 25.73    W 082° 52.24
  33.42884    -82.87066
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6GP5
Powelton Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Powellton Baptist Church, first known as Powell´s Creek Church, was constituted July 1st, 1786, with 26 Members by the Rev. Silas Mercer, the Rev. John Harvey, And the Rev. John Thomas. The Rev. Jesse Mercer became Pastor of this church on February 4, 1797, and served in that capacity until late in 1825. During his ministry, 200 persons were baptized into the church.

The General Committee of the Georgia Baptists was Organized here in 1803; the Baptist State Convention was formed in this church in 1822, and its sessions were held here in 1823 and in 1832.

Governor William Rabun was a distinguished member of Powelton Baptist Church, and served it as a Clerk and Chorister.

GHM 070-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Powelton Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

070-10B