Historic Markers Across Georgia



Powelton Baptist Church



Marker ID: GBC 
Location: Near Powelton Baptist Church
County: Hancock
Coordinates: N 33° 25.727    W 082° 52.238
  33.42878333    -82.87063333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6GP6
Powelton Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In this church on this site the General Baptist Association of Georgia was organized June 27, 1822, by messengers from the Georgia and Ocmulgee Associations, and certain other Baptists, including Adiel Sherwood, whose motion in the Sarepta Association called for organization of the General Association. Jesse Mercer was elected president and Jabez P. Marshall was elected secretary. Adiel Sherwood preached the sermon, Luke 3:4. Name changed to The Baptist Convention of the State of Georgia in 1827.

This marker erected in 1950 by
GEORGIA BAPTIST CONVENTION



 
Notes:

Granite monument dedicated September 4, 1950

Source: Committee on Baptist History, Georgia Baptist Convention
http://tarver.mercer.edu/archives/Holdings/markers.pdf

 

070-10C