Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sparta



Marker ID: GHM 070-4
Location: At the City Hall on E. Broad St (Ga 15/16), Sparta, GA
County: Hancock
Coordinates: N 33° 16.567    W 082° 58.266
  33.27611    -82.9711
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6GWQ
Sparta Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Sparta, Seat of Justice for Hancock County in 1795, became a chartered town, Dec. 3, 1803. Situated at an Indian trading post, in constant danger of border trouble, the town was named Sparta to indicate the bravery of its pioneer citizens. In 1864 when Gen. Sherman neared Sparta on his march to the Sea, Capt. Harry Culver, C.S.A., hone on leave, gathered what men he could find. Shouting orders as if he had an army behind him, Capt. Culver met the Federal outpost who turned their troops toward Sandersville at Kennedy´s Store beyond Devereux, leaving Sparta unmolested.

GHM 070-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 
Notes:

Source: New York Times
From the Augusta Constitutionalist, November 26.

We have information that the enemy’s cavalry, 600 to 1,000 strong, is moving on Sparta. They camped at or near Devereu’s last Thursday night, the 24th, about 7 miles southwest of Sparta.

Another column is moving from Milledgeville with artillery. It crossed the Oconee and is pursuing the road leading through Washington County, by the way of Sandersville. This is a direct line to Savannah from Milledgeville.

A column, supposed to be Slocum's numbering from two to three thousand infantry, is reported to be moving in conjunction with the cavalry above mentioned, on Sparta. At Sparta are two roads, one leading to Augusta via Mayfield, another to Sandersville. Should this audacious raiding party come this way, we are prepared to bestow a proper and becoming chastisement. It is probably, however, that after ravaging the country around Sparta, it will combine with the column moving on the road to Savannah.

The New York Times
Published December 4, 1864

 

070-4