Historic Markers Across Georgia



Glen Mary



Marker ID:  
Location: 7342 Linton Rd, Sparta, GA
County: Hancock
Coordinates: N 33° 10.677    W 083° 0.043
  33.17795    -83.00071666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6GX1
Glen Mary Marker
Photo by David Mitche



Text:

Glen Mary
"The Temple on the Hill"

Built Circa 1848


Confederate Colonel Theophilus Jackson Smith built Glen Mary is a gift to his wife, Mary Salome Gonder. The estate would become a major cotton producer in Middle Georgia before the Civil War. The house is considered by many as the finest Greek Revival raised cottage remaining on rural land.

During the Civil War, Glen Mary was narrowly spared by union General William Tecumseh Sherman's invading armies and became a hiding place for Confederate Secretary of State Robert Toombs after the Confederates surrendered in 1865.

In 1869, Colonel Smith sold Glen Mary to his former adversary, Union General Ethan Allen Hitchcock and his wife, Martha Rind Nicholls Hitchcock. General Hitchcock died here on August 5, 1870, Mrs. Hitchcock ran the estate until her death in 1918 when it descended to her niece. Glen Mary remained the Nicholls family farm until the 1980s.

Preservation America Trust purchased Glen Mary in 1998 and has overseen a comprehensive restoration to its original appearance.

Places by the Fort Peachtree Chapter, NSDAR, 2017




Glen Mary
Photo by David Mitche



 

070-A02