Historic Markers Across Georgia



Haralson County



Marker ID: GHM 071-1
Location: Old Courthouse, US 27 and Ga 120, Buchanan
County: Haralson
Coordinates: N 33° 48.104    W 085° 11.39
  33.80173889    -85.18983446
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Z0N
Haralson County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Jan. 26, 1856, is named for Gen. Hugh A. Haralson, Member of Congress and Chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs during the Mexican War. The County Site is named for James Buchanan, last Democratic President before the War. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John K. Holcombe, Clerk of Superior Court Van A. Brewster, Clerk of Inferior Court Jesse M. Jeams, Tax Receiver Hiram Ray, Tax Collector Alfred H. Green, Ordinary George H. Hamilton, Surveyor William D.F. Mann and Coroner John McClung.

GHM 071-1 Georgia Historic Marker 1954



 

 

071-1