Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hungarian Colony



Marker ID: GHM 071-3
Location: US 78 .3 mile west of Waco just west of Waco School Road
County: Haralson
Coordinates: N 33° 42.902    W 085° 13.099
  33.71503937    -85.21831199
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Hungarian Colony Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

In 1888, three wine-making communities were founded here on some 2000 acres. A local land developer, Ralph L. Spencer, invited some 200 Hungarian wine-making families to settle this region. They named their largest community BUDAPEST, in honor of the capital of Hungary. The village of TOKAJ recalled the famous wine-making region of Hungary, and NYITRA was named after an ancient fort in the northern region of their homeland. Homes, streets, shops, a school, a Catholic church, a cemetery and other municipal facilities were built. The wine industry flourished in this climate. In 1908 the passage of the Prohibition Act in Georgia spelled their doom. The residents were forced back to the Pennsylvania mines. The rectory still stands on a hill, a fine tribute to the master masons who erected it. The pioneer Hungarians who became a part of the Georgia soil lie in the little fenced cemetery over the hill, many of the graves still marked with names which sound foreign to these parts. By ancient tradition the inhabitants lie with their heads toward the East and their beloved homeland.

GHM 071-3 Georgia Historic Marker 1988



 

 

071-3