Historic Markers Across Georgia



Harris County



Marker ID: GHM 072-1
Location: Courthouse in Hamilton
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 45.533    W 084° 52.494
  32.75888333    -84.8749
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6TYY
Harris County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The first Court House was built in 1831 and the present one in 1908. First election was held in Feb. 1828. First county officers were: Sheriff Lewis Wynn, Superior Court Clerk Clark Blandford, Inferior Court Clerk Josiah W. Batchelder, Surveyor Absalom Beddell, Coroner F.A.B. Wheeler, Tax Receiver Burrell Blackmon, Tax Collector John D. Johnson.

GHM 072-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Harris County Courthouse
Harris County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

072-1