Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bartlett's Ferry Dam: Antioch Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 072-10
Location: Ga 219 south of the church at the road to the dam
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 40.423    W 085° 3.507
  32.67371666    -85.05845
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V39
Bartlett's Ferry Dam: Antioch Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

BARLETT´S FERRY DAM: ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH
--- 1 ½ Miles -->



Rev. Simpson Wilson Barley (1827-1884), minister and doctor, operated a ferry, known as Bartley´s Ferry, 1 ½ miles west on the Chattahoochee River. He preached at the nearby Antioch Baptist Church, one of the earliest in this section, and is buried in the churchyard. The first known pastor (1839) was Rev. Jacob White David (1790-1871) and first Clerk, Fortunatus Webb.

In 1926, Barley´s Ferry Dam (misspelled Bartlett), largest in the middle Chattahoochee group, was built and a hydroelectric plant erected to furnish power to City of Columbus.

GHM 072-10 Georgia Historical Commission 1992



 

 

072-10