Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kingsboro & Cataula



Marker ID: GHM 072-12
Location: US 27 at Ga 315 in Cataula
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 39.305    W 084° 52.125
  32.65508333    -84.86875
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM6V3E
Kingsboro & Cataula Marker  



Text:

At KINGSBORO. 3mi. S., Ga.´s first narrow gauge railroad (North & South RR), chartered in 1870 (Columbus to Romel), ended in 1873. CATAULA (Big Rock) is a Creek name. Clowers Meth. Church, organized as "Providence" in 1829, was built of logs by Thomas Clowers and others, with James Dorrough, Jr., pastor. Renamed, it was to moved to Ctaula in 1900, was organized 1 1/4 mi. S. in 1839. The Granberry family gave land for nthis church; Rev. Geo. Granberry was the first pastor. Harmony Prim Bap. Church was organized in 18-11, Thomas McElroy gave the land and, in 1953, it was returned to his family.

GHM 072-12 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

072-12