Historic Markers Across Georgia



Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Pine Lake Rd., Whitesville
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 49.187    W 082° 02.133
  32.81978333    -82.03555
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V37
Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Methodist church in Whitesville had its origins about 1828 in meetings held at the home of Reuben Mobley. The First methodist Church was founded in the early 1830s and by 1837 the decision was made to erect a church for the growing congregation on land donated by a trustee. The first church was used until 1854, when the current building was completed. This was the early church of Rev. William Jackson Callahan, a 1891 Emory graduate who was a missionary in Japan. Rev. Charles L. Allen, later pastor of Grace methodist Church in Atlanta and well-known author, preached his first sermon here. The Whitesville methodist Church has been actively in use as a Methodist church since its dedication.

(Continued on other side)

ERECTED BY
THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND WHITESVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 2002



 

 

072-A12