Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lucy Laney Elementary School



Marker ID:  
Location: 6858 Hwy 208, Waverly, Hall GA
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 40.967    W 084° 44.933
  32.68278333    -84.74888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Lucy Laney Elementary School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Side 1:

On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a famous black educator, from Augusta, GA. Mr. Edward F. Robinson served as the first principal of the school. Grades 1 through 8 were taught there until the integration of area public schools in 1970. After integration, the name was changed to Waverly Hall Elementary. The school closed in 1989 and the building was razed in 2004.


Side 2:

Original Superintendent -- Zade Kenimer
Original Principal -- Edward F. Robinson

Subsequent Principals:
William A. Long
Reverend George P. McKinney
Theodore C. Bowen
Louie Otis Meadows, Jr.

Erected 2010 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission
And
Edward F. Robinson, George H. Luttrell, Jr., Sandra Bruce, Ella Marshall, Michael Harris and Dan Akins.




Lucy Laney Elementary School
Photo by David Seibert



 

072-A16