Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp McKenzie (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Whitesville Rd. just South of Pleasant Valley Drive
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 37.015    W 084° 58.959
  32.61691666    -84.98265
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V3A
Camp McKenzie (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On this site was Camp McKenzie, a 350 acre tract used for approximately 75 years as the official campsite for the local councils of the Boy Scouts of America. Under the leadership of W. W. McKenzie and Fred H. Schomburg, together with J. Homer Dimon, Jas. B. Key, Dan Joseph, J. Dupont Kirven, H. B. Crowell and J. A. Thomas, Camp McKenzie was incorporated in March 1921, Through the efforts of Frank G. Lumpkin Sr., Sidney Colquitt and many others, funds were raised to purchase the acreage and construct facilities.

Erected by the Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.



 
Notes:

(Original site of Camp McKenzie)

 

072-A4