Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp McKenzie (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Whitesville Rd. just South of Pleasant Valley Drive
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 37.015    W 084° 58.959
  32.61691666    -84.98265
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V3A
Camp McKenzie (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1965 a group led by Cason J. Callaway, Jr., donated an additional and adjacent 320-acre tract to the Chattahoochee Council. The new area was named Camp Callaway. In 1955, the Council signed an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for 900 acres of land on the West Point Lake and camping facilities have been moved to that location. This marker is erected to honor those men who had the foresight and the will to make Camp McKenzie and Camp Callaway possible for the thousands of boys who learned to love them both and who will
forever hold fond memories of their experiences here. Erected by the Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

Erected by the Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.



 
Notes:

(Original site of Camp McKenzie)

 

072-A5