Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hamilton Female College



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on S. Old College St in Hamilton
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 45.204    W 084° 52.374
  32.7534    -84.8729
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V2A
Hamilton Female College  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first chartered school in Harris County. Before 1853, Georgia´s General Assembly had refused to permit the beginning of female academies. Education was mainly for males. Seventeen years later, in 1870, the school burned.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE MRS. O´NEAL´S ODYSSEY CLASS MULBERRY CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 2002



 

 

072-A7