Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mountain Hill District Consolidated School [side 1]



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 47 Mountain Hill Rd. at Ga. 219 near Hamilton
County: Harris
Coordinates: N 32° 41.779    W 085° 1.538
  32.69631666    -85.02563333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3QTD
Mountain Hill District Consolidated School [side 1] Marker
Photo by The Cheyniacs



Text:

This handsome Colonel Revival structure, completed in 1930, served the educational needs of children in the western half of Harris County from 1930 throgh 1989. The building, which consolidated several one-and two-room schools, was designed by the Atlanta architectural firm Lockwood and Poundstone. Incorporating state-of-the-art features including central heat, indoor plumbing and electricity, the school building provided students with amenities unknown in most of their homes. Funding for construction of the school came primarily from the local community through a bond issue in the amount of $60,000.

(Continued on the other side)

Erected by the Mountain Hill Schoolhouse Foundation, Inc. and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.



 

 

072-A8