Historic Markers Across Georgia



Heard County



Marker ID: GHM 074-1
Location: Courthouse on Ga 34 in Franklin
County: Heard
Coordinates: N 33° 16.752    W 085° 5.89
  33.27919331    -85.09816968
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM50QY
Heard County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 22, 1830, is named for Hon. Stephen Heard, elected President of the Council Feb. 18, 1781, thus, in the absence of Gov. Howley, becoming Governor de facto. An Englishman who moved to Wilkes Co. from Virginia, Heard fought in the Revolution and distinguished himself at Kettle Creek. Among the first County Officers were: Clerk of Superior Court William Wood, Clerk of Inferior Court Paschal H. Taylor, Coroner David Cox and Surveyor Jackson Fitzpatrick. The first Sheriff, Jonathan Mewsick, was not commissioned until 1832.

GHM 074-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

074-1