Historic Markers Across Georgia



Franklin Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 074-3
Location: At the church at Park Ave and Main St, Franklin
County: Heard
Coordinates: N 33° 16.805    W 085° 5.864
  33.28008127    -85.09773158
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM50QR
Franklin Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

The Franklin Baptist Church was organized December 2, 1842 with 37 members. The founders included Elder Mitchell Bennett, Jesse Moon, James Davis and James Spurlin. Elder Robert Fleming served as pastor during the first year. The first church building was located in a grove east of Newnan Street near the home sites of R. M. Miller and J. W. Lane. About 1885 the church building was moved and re-erected on Main Street. In 1908-1909 the old building was replaced, on the same site, by the present one. The brick annex was constructed in 1950.

GHM 074-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

074-3