Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 075-6
Location: US 23 about 2 miles south of Locust Grove at Locust Rd.
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 33° 20.030    W 084° 05.236
  33.333839    -84.087256
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DXB
The March to the Sea Marker  



Text:

On Nov. 17, 1864, the right wing of Gen. Sherman´s Army marched from McDonough to Jackson, enroute to Planter´s Factory on the Ocmulgee River, where it was to cross into Jasper County the next day. At this point, Woods´ and Hazen´s divisions of the 15th Corps turned right, to facilitate the movement by passing around Jackson to Indian Springs. Smith´s division, followed by Mower´s and Leggett´s of the 17th Corps, continued to Jackson on this road.

That night, Woods and Hazen camped near Liberty Church (10 miles SE), their right covered by Kilpatrick´s cavalry division on the north bank of Towaliga River.

GHM 075-6 Georgia Historic Marker 1987



 

 

075-6