Historic Markers Across Georgia



Shingleroof Campground



Marker ID: GHM 075-9
Location: Ga 155 and Shingleroof Road 2.5 miles north of McDonough
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 33° 29.152    W 084° 8.655
  33.4858618    -84.1442419
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2MP7
Shingleroof Campground Marker  



Text:

Shortly after this section of land in Henry County was ceded to the State of Georgia by the Creek Indians in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1823, camp meetings were held here under brush arbors. In 1831, 100-1/4 acres of land was purchased by the Trustees of the Methodist Campmeeting Ground for the sum of $280.00. It became known as Shingleroof in 1873 when the brush arbors were replaced by ´tents´ with wooden shingle roofs. In 1861- 65, it served as the mustering ground and staging area for Confederate troops and later for their reunions. Competitive church groups singing for awards held day long Sunday School Celebrations here in the 1890´s and early 1900´s. From its founding, the campground has served not only as an ecumenical gathering place, but also as a site for family reunions and civic activities. Shingleroof is among the oldest active campgrounds in the State of Georgia.

GHM 075-9 Georgia Historic Marker 1981



 

 

075-9